Friday, December 22, 2017

My Weekend Crush

It’s been a crazy holiday season and I won’t have a chance to write about “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” until after Christmas. (So, you know, NO SPOILERS.) Because of that I’ve tried to stay away from reviews and interviews and behind-the-scenes whatnot. But what I do know is I’m already beyond excited about Rose Tico. If you ever need any evidence that representation matters, please witness Kelly Marie Tran (who portrays Tico) react to seeing a fan cosplay as her on the red carpet. Yeah, it fucking matters.



As a little Asian girl growing up in the Midwest who love, love, loved the “Star Wars” movies, if you told me one day a young Asian woman would play a major role in that galaxy far, far away I would have died of happiness. The little girl in me still might. Happy representation weekend, all.

p.s. How adorable is Kelly with all her action figures? Answer: So adorable.


5 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Sarah Warn was right! Visibility matters! Representation matters! Seeing yourself matters because you can't know thy you can be what you can't see
Have a great weekend and can't wait to read your take on Last Jedi

Photos said...

I was rather pleased when Diego Luna was on "Rogue One", speaking with an accent as well. But I'm still waiting for a Latina geek to appear on Star Wars, as a human Latina, not a voice on an alien. It hasn't happened yet.

Shasta said...

It was a very long week for me saying “What!? Dorothy hasn’t written about Rose yet?” So, relief! No spoilers, but how can you not love Rose and Kelly Marie Tran? 🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤h

Karen said...

Never understood the fascination with Star Wars. I don't care for the sci-if genre.

sk said...

Great article from a couple of months ago about the action figures for both Tico sisters: https://www.themarysue.com/rose-paige-tico-representation-forcefriday/