Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Sweeps Lesbianism Redux

You must remember this. A lesbian kiss is just a kiss. A very special lesbian episode is just a thing to make us sigh. The fundamental things apply, that they won’t stay gay as time goes by.

Ah, yes, Lesbian Kiss Episodes. So many shows have had them. So many shows will no doubt continue to have them – though hopefully with less frequency and sensationalism. Though it’s funny how lesbianism so often seems to break out around Sweeps Week. Must be something about the cycles of the moon.

So now Vulture has handily compiled this video of Lesbian Kiss Episodes. I have to say, it makes me oddly nostalgic.

And, I will actually argue that some of these kisses were actually slightly more than just solely ratings stunts. I mean, sure, the ratings didn’t hurt. But there was actual bravery involved in 1991 when CJ and Abby shared a kiss on “L.A. Law,” because it was also primetime TV’s first-ever female same-sex kiss. Ever.

And the Roseanne kiss was also historic because, while still a one-off, the episode had more to do with homophobia and to show that lesbians – real ones – were actually everywhere. Even in middle America.

Also, as much as I am loathe to defend “The O.C.,” Alex (Olivia Wilde) and Marissa (Mischa Barton) actually kissed a whole bunch of times. And they had an actual relationship, which lasted about two months, with sex and everything. Sure it was short-lived and ended disappointingly for all of its lesbian and bisexual fans, but it wasn’t a just one-off.

So there you have it. So many random lesbian kisses. Which Very Special Lesbian Kiss is your favorite? You know you have one, fess up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that Dax/Lenara kiss from Deep Space Nine, definitely my favourite.

Bonnie said...

As an insecure teen questioning my sexuality in the late 80s and early 90s, these brief lesbian representations on mainstream television were a lifeline for me. The fact that these women were self-assured and open about their attractions to other women gave me a glimpse at the possibility of a future for myself with the same courage and confidence. I realize that the lesbian kiss became a tired ratings gimmick, but as any lesbian over the age of 35 will tell you, there wasn't much to watch back then, so these kisses became defining moments for us. For me, the Abby/CJ kiss will always be special because it was the first.

Carmen SanDiego said...

The O.C.
Bonus points for Olivia Wilde and Mischa Barton being hot as hell
That scene where they kiss behind mom's back makes me smile