Thursday, April 23, 2015

Mother of Bad Decisions

While we are on the subject of people undergoing dramatic character shifts this season, can we take a moment to discuss Daenerys? This season she’s more like Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, Mother of Dragons AND Bad Decision Machine, amirite? Looks, we all knew last season that locking up her beloved dracarys would be a very, very bad plan. A dragon is not a slave, remember? But now my favorite albino-haired claimant to the Iron Throne is having a hell of a time of it. (p.s. No, I have not read the books. Yes, I am aware all kind of shit is going to happen. No, please don’t spoil it for me.)



I guess this falls under the “Conquering Is Easy, Ruling Is Hard” life lessons. We all knew it would be difficult. But in a show that has made its female characters struggle and endure so (though, to be fair, it’s been fairly shitty to the men folk, too), it’s kind of crushing to watch this particular stumble. Or maybe I’m just upset for the dragons. Like I want to foster them for her for a bit and tell them it’s OK and that their mama is coming back for them, I promise. Yes, leave it to the lesbian to want to adopt the poor, stray dragons.



I guess the only good things about this particular predicament is my eager anticipation for the moment when Daenerys gets her shit back together and has another, epic drop the mic (or whip, as it was) moment. Thought, this being “Game of Thrones,” that’ll probably be like 30 beheadings, a dozen skull crushings, 10 burnings alive and three smoke baby monsters from now. Damn, show. The things you make us go through.

p.s. What does it say about me that I’m actually starting to like Cersei Lannister more as the seasons wear on? Wait, don’t answer that.

2 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Yeah, Dany and Cersei are 2 bad decision machines. Makes me want to shake them and say "think of your choices!"
But I am so happy that her story is being condensed and actually moving forward, unlike the book where we get chapter after chapter of Mereen politics and schemings...

Anonymous said...

Eh, what can I say - I love Cersei character. And I loved Catelyn. So not only you are "weird" :)