Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Let It Kazoo

So I only recently, finally (don’t throw things at me) got a chance to watch “Frozen.” Which is strange for me because, hello – I have both “Finding Nemo” and “WALL-E” on my phone. But, predictably, I loved it. And I love, loved its (now Oscar-winning) showstopper “Let It Go.” We could get into its subtle (and not so subtle) feminist and gay rights undertones (Don’t let them in, don’t let them see/Be the good girl you always have to be/Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know/Well, now they know/Let it go, let it go/Can’t hold it back anymore.) Hello, this year’s Gay Pride anthem. I still haven’t stopped singing it in the shower. (p.s. I totally read any angry post about the “dangerous homosexual messaging” in the lyrics on some site…it was amazing.)

Anyway, aside from the whole Adele Dazeem debacle, I felt Idina Menzel’s Academy Award performance was muted. The pacing was off and the song was, obviously truncated. So while well-delivered, it just didn’t pack that full-throated punch. Well, she got another shot thanks to Jimmy Fallon and his Classroom Instruments series. And let me just say, Hallelujah, the thrill is back. I really enjoy Jimmy’s Classroom Instruments series, done on – you guessed it – instruments you would find in a classroom. I think they bring the very simple, childlike joy of music back in ways only a kazoo can. You can just, you know, let it go. (So, fine, the first verse is a little shaky but afterward, hotfreakingdamn, does the lady let the storm rage on.)



p.s. Tina Fey was on last night too and Jimmy served her pizza. So, you know, best show ever.


3 comments:

Danie said...

What I don't quite understand about Menzel's performance of Let it Go was this, they let a lot of the winners ramble on for quite a while, they let U2 and the guy in the hat and Pink (not to mention Bette Midler who while mostly okay was a bit flat on some notes here and there, drove my crazy). But, they cut her song? The song works because of all the pieces of it coming to a crescendo. Not to mention, a whole lot of people know this song, and probably noticed how badly it was butchered by the arrangers. I do think that Menzel did a pretty good job with what she was given.

Let it Go is only, what 3 and a half minutes. Seriously, the telecast went over for a half hour anyway, you can't give (for what most people knew was going to be the best song winner at least) Let it Go and Idina Menzel 3.5 minutes onto that? *sigh*

Ah well, the past is in the past after all heh... back to listening to the recording of the song. :)

hachiemachie said...

You could tell that she was nervous at the Oscars. She was a trembling, singing ahead of the music in places, and cracked on the high note. I wanted to hug her, but she's so cool and relaxed and clearly having a good time with Jimmy and The Roots. Still, on her worst day, Idina Menzel still sings better than a lot of people. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've watched this clip a bunch of times this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Yay Adele Dazeem!!!